Room LI: Trajan’s Column
In a long corridor casts of the reliefs of Trajan’s column can be seen close up. The column was erected in 113 AD in Trajan’s Forum to celebrate the victory of the emperor over the Dacians.
The casts of the sections of the long relief continue, turning round the column like a giant illustrated scroll, for a distance of about 200m in total. They were made in 1861 on the wish of Napoleon III; one of the three copies then made was given to the Lateran and subsequently donated the Museum of Roman Culture by Pope Pius XII.